The Nigerian music industry has been quite laudable in this present time for providing lovely and mature music which serve different purposes and sooth various listeners, irrespective of the increasingly disturbing presence of what I would term “commercial noises”. However this is not my focus.

My focus here is on content or message: what exactly is a content-based music? To what extent do our artistes pay attention to content, and what kind of content message is being passed on in the songs that are being released in this contemporary period of earnest desire for rapid fame and wealth? I strongly believe this should be considered for tangible growth.

When we talk about content here we simply mean value, importance or quality; therefore a content based music is that which is focused on quality, whose most imperative mind-set is on value and that which deals with the importance issues concerning Nigeria.

Valuable and quality-specific music is committed to developing its listeners. If one tries to reflect on the contemporary music industry, one would be left with the question of whether what we listen to is content based music or 'Boosit.'Nevertheless, it is not my business.

One lonely evening on my bed, I stuck my headset to my ears to listen to the radio, as I tuned to one of the famous radio stations, a song was playing, I heardCobhams Asuquo’s voice, “ladies and gentlemen”, at first I thought it was Falz, I had already smiled saying “this guy ehn”, but as I heard, “my name is Cobhams…”

I was really surprised, never heard him in such style before (as he also agrees when he said “I know you never expererit”). I became enchanted by the introduction so I listened further.

I didn’t know when I jumped up the moment I heard Falz’ voice, I hurriedly switched on my mobile data connection to Google the details of the song, downloaded the track as well as its lyrics.

I took my time to listen to it and at the same time I scrolled through the lyrics. I began to see deep truths and content in this contemporary hit track, a veritable voice of truth and challenge toward right living of sincerity, integrity and truth in the society.

In a seemingly funny way, these two artistes addressed two major deep issues which stand at the core of human growth and national development as a whole; they are administrative and family issues.

These creative artistes tackle prevalent issues that seem to pervade the society; they boldly and dauntlessly confront the existent pains of the society cause by ruling administrations in different sectors. These artistes have decided to strictly“speak out against jaga jaga”.

Falz addresses the “boosit” actions of government leaders, “wearing coat and tie”, “agbada with a sharp shoe”, and pretentiously swearing oaths they do not and will not fulfil, making flippant promises to the masses who seemingly fall prey of their gimmick and devices.

Falz openly says “I have had enough of your boosit”. Here he speaks for the masses; he literally says “we have had enough…”

Alas! Leaders of ignoble intentions, we’re heading back to the era of committed music, where songs that capture patriotism and desire for national and societal growth are being preached.

He confidently spits these words and conspicuously expresses resentment for the present societal ills that seems to ooze from the stables of leadership.

Cobhams comes in with an open aggression on those who are out to destroy the system of the society; in pictured frustration, he lashes out against husbands (family), politicians (government) and pastors (religious) who make vain promises to win the heart of the people but eventually fail, a message to those with punctured integrity, pastors who try manipulate their members for their selfish gains. He confronts these systems who see human beings as animals who you can toss around at will.

This track by Cobhams featuring Falz is a deep representation of content based music, a real message embedded in light representation, hilarious statements with embedded meanings of commitment towards national growth and development.

The nation is going through different occurrence that seems to puncture the heart of her citizens, however the music industry has a major and indispensable influence on the society, and if its artistes can be committed to capturing and reflecting the pains and worries of the society, then the society will definitely feel a great impact and build hope for a better tomorrow.

The progenitors of Nigerian music spent their life on committed art; one that served as a tool of exposing societal ills; we had the likes of Fela Anikulapo Kuti whose life was poured out to opposing societal maladies and all forms of oppression.

I challenge our music industry to replicate the past and help build this nation.